Monday, October 24, 2011

Black Bean Burgers



I found a recipe for these from Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook Double Delicious. I had checked it out from the library and for some reason I did not write down the recipe before returning it. So I tried to remember the basic ingredients and have thus just been making these from memory.

Here's my adapted recipe:

Black Bean Burgers

1/2-1 cup veggies (usually zucchini, corn, tomatoes) sauteed in olive oil
1 egg, beaten
2 cans black beans (or equivalent of cooked beans)
1 cup bread crumbs
salt to taste
1 t. chili powder (optional)
and whatever other spices you want to add
Chipotle Ranch dressing, Marketside brand from Wal-mart (can be found in the produce section because it has to be refrigerated)

Saute the veggies first. Mix the egg, beans, and bread crumbs together. Add additional seasonings. Combine with veggies. Using a mixer, mix thoroughly until it comes together like a paste. Make patties. Cook on a hot iron skillet or in pan. 

We serve these on homemade cornbread and drizzle the dressing on top. The dressing is what makes this so great because it adds a kick of spice and yummy goodness.

I have used a variety of cornbread recipes, but this one I used tonight:

Cornbread

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup kefir (buttermilk or plain yogurt could be substituted)
2 T. agave nectar 
1/4 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Mix and stir just until wet. Place in greased 8X8 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes. 

I like this because even my meat lover husband enjoys these and it easily makes enough for 2 meals for our family. Getting the kids to eat something so good for them always brings me a lot of joy and saving money on making a meatless meal is always a plus!


No comments:

Post a Comment